Saturday, November 3, 2007

Tannum Sands, Australia

A six hour drive north of Brisbane bears the little town of Tannum Sands tucked across the river from Boyne Island and 20 kilometers from the industrial mecca of Gladstone (pronounced to us foreigners as if there was no 'e' on the end). Gladstone, known for the largest aluminium (yes, I intentionally added the extra 'i' as is necessary here and in other countries colonized by the English)
factory, has the largest industrial port dealing in business with China. Though to locals the 20 kilometers can seem quite far, the hike is worth it to reach quaint Tannum Sands. If ever there was a classic beach town, it would be Tannum Sands. Mostly residential, there is a central shopping center with the essentials: a chemist, supermarket, pub, drive-thru liquor store and of course, the most essential of all, a KFC. All of this is within a 10 minute walking distance to the beach. A small park overlooks the beach with the sounds of waves hitting the ears before ever reaching the cliff. Though the beach width is not as enormous as those found in the U.S. of A., it is enough that one can stay sprawled out without being reached by the huge tides (known officially around here as King Tides- though we haven't experienced those peraonlly at all), but still feel the intimacy of it nearly being a private beach. The water falls a short second place in warmth to what I experienced in Costa Rica, but compared to the water at Bondi Beach in Sydney, it's a hot tub.
This, of course, makes it enticing for kite surfers to come out after a hard days work and enjoy some evening runs.

For me, Tannum Sands wasn't just about the beach, but also the incredible hospitality and how warmly I was received by my friends, Josh and Steph. Having not seen them since before their wedding, nearly three years ago, I had no idea what to expect. They took me in as if I'd been their neighbor this whole time. They took me to Agnes Waters and 1770 to walk around and play at the beach, even though it was Steph's birthday. They told me to treat their home (and Steph's parents' house as well) as my home and would not even let me buy my own food.
I nearly had to fight them to pay for one dinner just to say a small thank you. Even the Lio family dog, Minka (unfortunately, my camera isn't working so I can't put up my picture of Minka), took me in and would try to sneak into my room to keep me company at night. I'm not sure if it was because she thought I was lonely or if she was the one who needed attention. =0)
I was even offered a car to drive an hour away at the possiblity of scuba diving in the most southern part of the Great Barrier Reef. Unfortunately, because of those King Tide thingies, I was not able to go, but the offer from Josh and Steph was too kind. Though Josh and I went to secondary together, our connection since then, has been through the friendship of our older siblings. It is a connection I hope to maintain and keep no matter where I or Josh and Steph end up. I could not have asked for a better five day holiday from my five and a half month holiday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled that you got to spend time with them! Sounds like it was a great time--looks beautiful!