Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Religion

Though on the surface, religion does not seem like a topic for a travel blog, it has been an underlying theme throughout my travels. Catholicism reigns in Peru where people identify with being Catholic, mostly in name. Religions/faiths in South Africa differ depending on which tribes people belong. Catholicism and non-denominational Christianity run rampant in Kenya. Southeast Asia was a paradox all on its own with Muslim Malaysia and Buddhist Thailand. Even between my travel partner and I, we represent a spectrum of religion from my Orthodox upbringing and practice to her more Buddhist lifestyle and ideas.

These travels have solidified my relativist views that faith really is an individual decision. Each religion or sect boasts of being The One or The Right Way. Even I have my own ideas on what is right...for me. I have found that more people spend time arguing on who is right and how others have to be wrong in order to validate the self. I believe it's much easier to do this than it is to focus on the self. If I spend all my time pointing fingers at others, how would I have time to work on myself and my personal goals?

A friend of mine, who does happen to be Orthodox as well, commented on how sometimes when she hears different Christian sects spout their ideals she feels a closer understanding to Jews than she does to those who are technically all under the same Christian umbrella. I have often felt the same way, separating myself as being part of a different Christianity, wanting to focus more on the self, as I was raised, rather than who is right.

From this, though, I have learned that individuals need to do what is best for them in order to find their own spirituality to lead them to live the best life they can. Who am I to say that what works for me has to work for another? It's possible, but I do not believe I'm in any position to tell another what he/she should or should not believe. I do believe education of different faiths is crucial to make the personal decision on individual spirituality.

What is interesting is that everywhere I've been, when spirituality or faith has been discussed, inevitability right religion or wrong religion is approached. Searching a little harder, I have found that those who abandon the discussion and just live their life according to what they believe, tell a much different story. Those who cannot get around the discussion tend to be more didactic in their approach. Others speak by simply just living. No matter what religion or faith to which a person belongs, I believe the best way to have an understanding of one's faith is to witness how he/she lives his/her life, whether socially acceptable or not.

Understanding another person's beliefs may not bring about agreement, but it hopefully will bring an idea that what they do is right for them just as what I do is right for me. And for me, the rest is left up to God.

1 comment:

Sadya (Nadia) said...

Gosh, Alika. What an absolutely incredibly amazing trip you are having!!!!! I just looked back over your blogs for the past 4 1/2 months. Can you believe you've been "on the road" for that long?!! So glad your writer's block is cured. I love you. Sadya